Thursday 4 May 2017

My new investing blog!

Hello and thanks for checking out my new finance/investment blog. I have started this primarily as a tool for myself to structure my thoughts around investing, as lately I have taken an interest in stocks and trading.

I believe it should be possible to earn steady income from the stock market, and an important part of doing this successfully is systematic decision making and trending the success of those decisions over time. When it comes to gambling or investing, people have the tendency to remember their wins and ignore their losses, leading to an inaccurate representation of past success. In failure there is opportunity to learn and avoid making the same mistakes again, and perhaps more importantly learning to recognize scenarios where there is potential to capitalize off others making the same mistake down the road.

This blog will allow me to track my bets and predictions, and provide commentary on the reasoning behind decision making so I can analyze the outcome of different approaches and insights in a range of real-world scenarios.

My primary vehicle for investing is my Canadian Tax Free Savings Account, which is held through TD Waterhouse as a self-directed trading account. Although the implementation of the TFSA by the Conservative government has been somewhat contentious, and from time-to-time the CRA goes after individuals that are 'too successful' it their TFSA investments (which I personally think is extremely unfair and illegitimate) but that being said it would be a good problem to have. In my opinion there are two really key things that have come out of the implementation of TFSAs in Canada; first the increase of market capital available to national enterprise, and second the fact that it really is a functional tool for young investors like myself to begin trading actively and learning about managing savings. Retirement is going to be a real issue for my generation, and learning to save and invest at a young age really is essential.


No comments:

Post a Comment